Really, what says Christmas in quite the same way as a leg lamp? One will light up the Playhouse stage this month.
- Ankeny’s Prairie Trail is hosting Dazzling in the District, a festive and free holiday affair for all ages from 2 to 7 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 7. Click here for more info.
- Like art? The Fitch Building and its artists’ studios host their annual holiday open house Saturday,
Dec. 7. It’s a building brimming with paint, sculpture, film, collages, prints and photography. Learn more.
- The crazy crowd that produces Halloween’s Slaughterhouse event is celebrating their move to a new location. Find them Saturday, Dec. 7, near 500 Locust St., where they’re producing an “anti-Christmas Krampus Crawl” wandering among various Full Court Press venues. Details? Click here.
- Des Moines Community Playhouse is producing a stage version of the film classic “A Christmas Story,” Dec. 6-23, complete with the curious leg lamp—and it’s a musical. Click here for more info.
- Tour the always-elegant Salisbury House and two other high-end homes, all decked out in holiday finery. The Holly and Ivy event is Friday and Saturday, Dec. 6 and 7, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Admission is $20 ($5 for ages 6-12). Details are here.
- Des Moines’ annual Christkindlmarket is this weekend—Dec. 6-8—at Principal Park, following a long-standing shopping tradition in Europe. Learn more at the event’s website.