Many of us are searching for an extra reason (or maybe an excuse) to celebrate something. Cinco de Mayo just so happens to fall on Taco Tuesday this year, so why not celebrate in festive fashion by ordering curbside carryout—and perhaps a to-go margarita or two—from one of these locally owned spots?
El Barco: This Urbandale restaurant has a massive menu of chimichangas, burritos, enchiladas, fajitas, tacos and more. If that weren’t enough, they’re now offering quart-sized take-home margaritas with fresh-squeezed juices ($8 per quart), and you can tack on a bottle of Jose Cuervo for $14.95. Open 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. daily. Order online; the El Barco website has a handy tool that will give you an estimate of time until pickup if you order now. (8801 Hickman Rd., Urbandale; elbarcodm.com)
El Guapo’s Tequila & Tacos: The new kid on the block on the Waukee side of West Des Moines, this tequila lounge is planning a one-night-only al fresco fiesta in honor of Cinco de Mayo. From 5 to 7 p.m. today, they’ll offer a curbside drive-by grill-out menu complete with carne asada tacos, shrimp skewers, elote (Mexican street corn), plus craft tequila cocktails, margaritas and beer. Supplies are limited and they aren’t accepting pre-orders, so we suggest arriving closer to 5 p.m. (8950 University Ave., Suite 105, West Des Moines; elguaposiowa.com)
El Fogon: According to their website’s tagline, this West Des Moines cantina is “where a new tortilla is born every day.” Their tortilla presses are still fired up and ready to go—just not in the dining room.
El Fogon accepts takeout orders from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. daily. To complement the “provisional menu,” they now have to-go Micheladas and margaritas. (1250 8th St., West Des Moines; elfogondmi.com)
Or consider these alternate options that are also open today:
- La Feria (4450 E University Ave., Pleasant Hill; laferiaiowa.com)
- Gilberto’s #9 (400 34th Ave. SW, Ste. 104, Altoona; gilibertosno9.com)
- Viva Mexian Restaurant (6101 Grand Ave.; vivadsm.com)
- Malo (900 Mulberry St.; malodesmoines.com)
- Cancun Grill and Cantina (3855 121st St., Urbandale, and 2785 N. Ankeny Blvd, Suites11 and 12, Ankeny; cancungrillandcantina.com)
- Hidalgo (2675 100th St., Urbandale; hidalgomexicanbarandgrilliowa.com)
- Antojitos Mexicanos (4100 S.W. 9th St., find menu and hours on Facebook)
- Tacos La Familia (1610 6th Ave.; find menu and hours on Facebook)
- Tacos Degollado Truck (1817 University Ave., find menu and hours on Facebook)
Show Comments (0)