- George Belitsos of Ames, founder of the youth services organization YSS.
- Karen Mackey, a Sioux City attorney and champion of the rights of Native Americans.
- Sharon K. Malheiro, a Des Moines attorney and prominent civil rights advocate.
- Sonia Reyes-Snyder a crusader for the rights of Latinos with the Iowa Office of Latino Affairs in Des Moines.
- Jeorgia Robison, a Marion attorney and pioneer in Iowans’ understanding of transgender persons.
- Jonathan C. Wilson, a Des Moines attorney and former school board member.
A separate honor, the LGBTQ Ally Award, goes to someone who is not LGBTQ but who has a record of defending the rights and dignity of all persons. That honoree is Terri Hale, who retired from a career at Principal in Des Moines, where she was a tireless advocate for LGBTQ citizens and others.
You’ll learn more about the awards and the recipients in the September issue of dsm magazine and at an awards event Oct. 24 at the Temple for Performing Arts.