Dozens of flags represent the many cultures and immigrant populations throughout Iowa. Photo: Iowa International Center
The Iowa International Center will recognize its 2021 Passport to Prosperity honorees with a week full of events from Sept. 6 to 11, including a webinar about the multiplier effect on immigrants and refugees (Sept. 7), an honoree meet and greet (Sept. 9), and a virtual celebration on Sept. 11.
Passport to Prosperity is an annual event meant to honor those who have made a difference for immigrants in the state. This year’s honorees include:
- Shaimaa Aly, commissioner at the West Des Moines Human Rights Commission and social capital chair for Capital Crossroads.
- Harka Biswa, partner and advocate for the Bhutanese community.
- Ivania Gabriella Guerra Ceron, founder of the Iowa Queer Communities of Color Coalition.
- Maria Corona, executive director of the Iowa Coalition Against Domestic Violence.
- Luisita Thompson, founder of the Filipino American Society of Iowa.