10,578 in 2021, there were 10,578 lives saved at the ARL.
7,499 animals found their forever homes in 2021!
85,054 pounds of pet food distributed to those in need in 2022.
To promote animal welfare, strengthen the human-animal bond, and prevent the overpopulation of pets.
Key Services Provided
The ARL serves people and pets from across the state of Iowa through its programs, which include pet adoption, humane education, pet behavior training, spay/neuter, animal cruelty intervention and much more.
Key Audiences Served
Since its founding in in 1926, the ARL has become Iowa’s largest nonprofit animal shelter and continues to expand to serve people and pets across Iowa. The ARL understands the importance of the human-animal bond and provides a broad range of Pet Support Services programs to help keep pets with the people who love them.
Ways to Give
- Donate: Make a difference for local pets in need by donating online at ARL-Iowa.org/donate.
- Donate items: You can order much-needed pet supplies from our wish-lists or drop off items at one of our locations.
- Volunteer: Choose to change the world for homeless pets by volunteering with the ARL.
- Adopt: Provide a forever home for one of the 10,000 animals who come through our doors each year.
- Foster: Provide a temporary home for pets who need special attention or a break from the shelter.
Board of Directors
Carol Griglione, President
Bernard Lettington, Secretary
Chad Rasmussen, Vice President
Mark Zimmerman, Treasurer
5452 N.E. 22nd St | Des Moines, IA, 50313 | (515) 262-9503 | www.arl-iowa.org